Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Birthday Shenanigans and Weekend Adventures

I know it's only Tuesday but this week already feels so long. I blame a ridiculously fun weekend packed with friends, food, a few drinks, and staying up WAY too late, so the struggle is real this week. There definitely needs to be a day between Sunday and Monday to catch up on sleep💤 I wanted to get caught up before sharing a few new posts this week and before things get crazy busy again.


Friday morning I hit the gym and got an awesome run and lift in before I headed out to Grand Rapids for the weekend. I knew there would be some indulging over the weekend so I wanted to start the day off on a good note. 



I'm always starving when I leave the gym, especially after a really hard lift. Post workout hanger is real! After cleaning up I made my staple breakfast of protein oats (recipe here) and topped it sliced banana, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, a drizzle of honey and course sprinkles😋 I also had one egg mixed with 6 Tablespoons egg whites for extra protein. I wanted a filling breakfast before I started driving because I knew it would be awhile before I ate again. After breakfast I quickly packed up my things and headed out. I never procrastinate and pack that late but the week had been crazy and I just never found motivation to pack. I listened to Sam Hunt while packing- I'm currently obsessed with the acoustic version of Come Over.





Kate's birthday was technically Thursday, but since she has classes I headed up Friday and spent the weekend hanging out with her. I had Friday afternoon and evening all planned out and full of surprises so she had no clue what I had planned😏 Since she just turned 21 I had to take her to a wine tasting. We are both wine lovers and there's a little apple house that's also a winery in Grand Rapids called Robinette's. Neither of us had ever been there but I had heard amazing things about it so we headed there. For 6 tastings it's $3 plus they give you a nice wine glass and if you bring it back you can have one free tasting a week! It's a steal and the wine is so good😍 My favorite wine of the day was passionate peach, it was so fruity and you couldn't even taste the alcohol. I couldn't resist so I bought a bottle and I'm hoarding it for later because I'm not sure it will last long. If anyone wants to buy me a dozen bottles of it for Christmas I would have ZERO complaints. 



After the wine tasting we hit up the corn maze, which is HUGE! Every year they have the corn maze in a different shape and this year it was in the shape of Snoopy and the Giant Pumpkin. At the beginning of the maze they give you a map if you want help getting through it but we opted to figure it out without the map. It took awhile, but we finally found our way out👍 


We grabbed a quick bite to eat before heading out to Kate's last surprise for the day, which was a trampoline park! A few of our other friends met us over at the trampoline park and it was a blast! There were areas just for jumping and doing flips, a giant foam pit, two dodgeball courts- one for adults and one for smaller kids, and a basketball area. The guys were all about the dodgeball court. Somehow it ended up being guys against girls and I'm not proud to say but I got impaled by a few balls, but cut me some slack it was my first time playing dodgeball. We got a Groupon for the trampoline park so we got admission for two for the price of one, so we bought a couple Groupons so everyone could get in. We jumped and played dodgeball for over an hour and by the time we sat down everyone was sweaty, hot, and very tired. It ended up being a really good workout between all the jumping and laughing💪


Despite being exhausted from the trampoline park I could not fall asleep when we got back. I ended up watching some of the guys play Rocket League for awhile and when I finally went to bed I didn't fall asleep until almost 5am and of course I woke up at 7am and was wide awake. I was totally exhausted but I hauled my butt out of bed and went for a run. It felt good to get moving and get the blood flowing early, but by the time I got back I was dead. Since I was away from home I couldn't have my usual breakfast so I picked up a few Bob's Red Mill oatmeal cups because they're perfect for traveling. I stopped at the grocery store and picked up some fruit that I could throw in while I waited for the oats to be ready. After eating I did something I never do I went back to bed for awhile. 



Since everyone was pretty dead from the night before Saturday was a very slow day. We finally got up and moving in the afternoon and hit up Main Street Pub for some late day grub. I used to hit up this spot with friends while I was up at school so it was strange being back as a graduate. I ordered my favorite salad, the fuji apple chicken salad. The salad had two kinds of lettuce, grapes, walnuts, apple slices, grilled chicken, blue cheese (which they happily left off for me) and raspberry vinaigrette dressing that I got on the side because I rarely like salad dressing. I also tried sweet potato fries for the first time and holy cow I've been missing out! I don't like and can't have regular french fries so I never bothered to try sweet potato fries, but they're so good! Since Kate just turned 21 we had to celebrate with a few drinks. I ordered a peach sangria and it was amazing- I couldn't taste the alcohol so I was super careful because those sort of drinks are always dangerous. We ended up calling it a night pretty early because everyone was still tired from the night before and Kate had to study for an exam on Monday. 



Sunday morning I got a very chilly run in and devoured all the food after. I hate wearing extra layers- hoodies, under armor, etc.- while running so I just opt to freeze my butt off until I warm up. It also motivates me to run faster so I heat up quicker😂 I changed into sweats to warm up when I got back but it ended up warming up and being a nice day. 


I ended up getting back later than I planned on Sunday due to lots of road construction and traffic being extra heavy from the construction. I was in the house no more than two minutes when the power went out. It was a perfectly sunny day, no winds, nothing but the power just went out. The laundry I planned on doing had to wait so I unpacked some and headed out to get a bite to eat with my parents. I got a harvest salad that had romaine lettuce, spinach, toasted walnuts, onions, tomatoes, dried cherries, grilled chicken and raspberry vinaigrette. I picked the onions off, I am not an onion lover, but other than that it was pretty good. I just has been looking forward to making a home cooked meal since I had eaten out basically all weekend. Thankfully by the time I got back from dinner with my parents the power came back on. 

It was an incredibly fun weekend and I'm already looking forward to going back soon to try out some new places downtown. 

What did you do over the weekend? 
What is your favorite outdoor fall activity?

No comments:

Post a Comment