Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Continuing the Conversation: Living with Chronic Illness in the Midst of a Global Pandemic


It's been a little over a week since I shared about my struggles in living with a chronic illness during this global pandemic (if you don't know what I'm talking about read it here). To be honest I didn't expect much in the way of a response since the topic of COVID and masks have become an incredibly divisive political issue, which I'm still struggling to understand as other countries have not had this problem, but the response I've gotten has truly been incredible. 

So many people have reached out to me to apologize for the people who have berated me in the middle of grocery stores and farmers markets. People have reached out to apologize for all the people who have made assumptions and tried to get me kicked out of stores for abusing the reserved shopping hour for 60+ and immunocompromised people. While I'm incredibly grateful for all the kind words I think we all need to do better. There's a severe lack of education and understanding for people who suffer from "invisible illnesses." Just because you can't see a disease or a compromised immune system with the naked eye does not mean it's not real. 

This pandemic has brought out the best in people, but it's also brought out the worst in people. Some, not all, have taken on the mindset that it's every man for himself, when in fact this is the time we should be watching out for one another. I think of all the people with hearing loss/problems that rely on reading lips but they cannot do that anymore because everyone has masks on. I think of people with claustrophobia for who wearing a mask feels like it's suffocating them. I think of people who are undergoing cancer treatment that are unable to do their own grocery shopping because it's too dangerous to go out. I think of all the doctors/nurses/hospital staffers who have made the heartbreaking decision to isolate themselves from their families so they don't bring COVID home with them. There are so many battles people are facing right now that we can't see, but that does not make them any less real. Take time to educate yourselves. Check on elderly neighbors to see if they need anything. If a friend or loved one has a condition that puts them at a great risk for COVID call and see how they are or if they need someone to run to the store for them. We need people more than ever, even if we all have to be at a distance. 

Next time you go out be kinder than necessary. Don't make assumptions about people based on what they look like. Offer help where you can, mind your manners- please and thank you go a long way these days, be respectful of other peoples decisions and keep your mouth closed regarding other peoples situations that you know nothing about. 

Chronic illnesses are draining enough- trust me. The last thing anyone with one wants or needs is someone else butting into their medical illnesses/conditions that you know nothing about.

Be kind and keep your mouth closed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment