Saturday, October 26, 2013

66 Calorie Chocolate Explosion Cookies

A cold, wet Saturday morning is the perfect excuse for some baking. One of my high school friends was having a few friends from back home at her apartment to celebrate her birthday so I knew it was yet another reason to test out another recipe I'd cooked up. 

I must confess I love to bake, and I love to bake sinfully bad treats, but I won't eat them. Ironic I know considering I'm a health food blogger, but we all have our pitfalls right? I wanted to create a recipe that was secretly healthy for my friends, yet was still totally delicious so they'd never suspect it was healthy. Thus Chocolate Explosion Cookies were born. I tested them out on one of my roommates and she said they tasted like Oreos, and boy was she surprised to learn that these babies weren't even bad for her! 

You will need:

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 5 tablespoons safflower oil (can substitute vegetable oil)
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon PLUS 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • OPTIONAL: 1/3 cup chocolate chips- you can exclude this but it does make the cookies extra rich!!

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a cookie sheet with tinfoil or parchment paper, lining the cookie sheet makes it easier to get the cookies off once cooled.

Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend together. 

Add in the chocolate chips, if you're including them, while mixing the batter together so they will be fully combined in the batter.

For a stiffer dough that is easier to scoop onto a baking sheet, and the cookies won't fall apart as easily, place dough in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes. You don't have to place the dough in the refrigerator. 


If you don't want to put the dough in the fridge scoop 1 tablespoon of dough onto the lined cookie sheet. You should get between 15 and 17 one tablespoon sized cookies. 

Bake at 325 degrees for 11 minutes. The cookies will not looked fully cooked when you pull them out but they are, so take them out (no one likes burnt cookies!!).

Allow the cookies to cool for 20 minutes before picking them up or they might crumble. 


Store in an airtight container to keep the cookies fresh.

Nutrition per serving:
Calories: 66
Carbs: 7 grams
Fat: 5 grams
Protein: 1 gram
Sodium: 60 mg
Sugar: 4 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment