Sunday, October 13, 2013

Salmon, Green Beans, Sweet Potato, OH MY!!!

What beautiful fall weather we have been having!! The temperature has been perfect and the trees could not be more beautiful!! Inspired by the gorgeous day and the fact that all but one of my midterms are over I decided to cook my favorite dinner. 

I love salmon. However, two years ago you couldn't get me near fish. But my mom finally wore me down and got me to try some, and as they say the rest is history. Now salmon is one of my favorite foods to eat and it is good for me!! 

Even if you buy organic it is important
to wash your vegetables before cooking
or consuming them.
Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids which help promote a healthy heart. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals. Salmon is an excellent source of a variety of B vitamins, including B12 which aids in nervous system functioning and forming new cells, and B6 which helps break down stored energy. Salmon also contains phosphorus and potassium. Phosphorus helps maintain and build strong bones, and potassium helps maintain a healthy blood pressure and regulate heartbeat. There are many benefits to eating Salmon, so be brave and give it a try!! 

This time I kept my salmon very plain, I only added a pinch of salmon seasoning (which can be found at any local grocery store). I baked the salmon at 400 degrees for twenty minutes. Depending on how powerful your oven is it may require more or less time. An easy way to tell if salmon is done is if you gently poke it with a fork and it flakes apart then you know it is done. It should also be light pink in color not a bright pink.

To go along with my salmon I had green beans and one small sweet potato. I washed up the green beans and cut the ends off and then placed them in a 3 oz pot. Fill the pot with just enough water to cover the green beans. Place on a burner and turn the burn to high until the water comes to a boil. Once the water boils, reduce the heat to a medium simmer and let the green beans simmer for about ten minutes. The green beans should be tender when done.

I also washed up one small sweet potato. After giving it a nice scrub I cut it into slices and put it in a pot. Fill the pot with 3 to 4 inches of water and turn the burner to high. Let the water boil for about ten minutes and the potato should be soft when prodded with a fork. 

I started cooking my fish then I turned on the burners for the green beans and sweet potato so they would all finish about the same time. When the green beans and sweet potato were done I drained the water out and served them with the salmon. I like to toss in some sliced almonds with my green beans for added flavor and protein. 

The great thing about this meal is not only is it easy to make but all this delicious food is enjoyed for only 250 calories!! A 4 oz. salmon fillet, 1 cup of green beans, and 1 small sweet potato for 250 calories is an excellent meal, both as fuel for your body but it is delicious to consume!! I hope you enjoy this relatively simple but flavorful meal and go enjoy the beautiful fall weather!! 

Nutrition:
Calories: 250
Total Fat: 7.4 grams
Sodium: 77.4 mg
Protein: 25.7 grams
Sugar: 5.1 grams
Cholesterol: 62.7 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment