Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Healthy Crockpot Chicken Parmesan!!

It is another glorious crockpot day at my apartment!! One of my favorite foods used to be chicken parmesan but I stopped eating it long ago because it is high in calories and some recipes contain an entire day's amount of sodium (2,000 mg). I haven't had chicken parmesan in probably two or three years, but that was about to change. 

This week I decided I wanted to revamp and reinvent chicken parmesan in the crockpot and make it healthy. My spin on traditional chicken parmesan will be different than what you are used to but I promise it tastes just as good and you don't have to feel guilty about eating it!! 

You will need:
  • 3 chicken breasts (you can use 4)
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs, regular or Italian style whichever you prefer
  • 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese 
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 cups organic marinara sauce

Take the tablespoon of olive oil and spread it at the bottom of the crockpot.

Next, pour 1/2 of the organic marinara sauce on the bottom of the crockpot, saving the other half to pour on top of the chicken once it is placed in the crockpot.

In a small mixing bowl combine the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese, mixing them completely together. 

In a separate bowl beat the egg. Take the chicken breasts and dip them one at a time into the egg and then into the bread crumb and parmesan cheese mixture, coating both sides with egg and then bread crumbs. 

Once the chicken breasts have been covered with bread crumbs place all breasts in the crockpot. After all the chicken breasts are in the crockpot cover the chicken breasts with the remaining organic marinara sauce. 

Finally, cover the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.

Once the chicken has been cooked turn the crockpot off and carefully remove the lid as it will be hot. The chicken should fall apart because it is so tender.

I shredded the chicken breasts up because it creates more servings of chicken parmesan that way (I got four servings of chicken parmesan this way). I had a single serving of chicken parmesan over one cup of spaghetti squash instead of noodles for an added nutritional bonus. Click here to find out how to cook spaghetti squash. 

Serve with a side of vegetables and you have a complete meal!! I hope you adore my savory and healthy version of chicken parmesan. Have a great week and happy crockpoting!!

If you make them tag me on instagram and use the hashtag #thesimplelife and go like my new page on Facebook!

Nutrition (per serving):
Calories: 298
Fiber: 6 grams
Sodium: 794 mg (this may seem like a lot but it is drastically less than any other recipes I have seen)
Potassium: 124 mg
Protein: 20 grams

6 comments:

  1. I ran across one of your recipes on Pinterest and have been looking through your others for at least an hour now. I am impressed! It's difficult finding healthy recipes to feed my grandmother (especially since I'm a vegetarian and she's not lol) that aren't so time consuming. Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your thoughtful and kind comment Kat, it made my day! I will definitely try to make more vegetarian recipes and vegetarian options, please let me know if there is any particular type of meal or food you'd like me to make or healthify. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Since I used 3 chicken breasts a serving size was one chicken breast. I hope that helps! Thanks for checking out my blog, have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  4. Just fixed this today for dinner & WOWZER! I did add Italian seasoning to the pasta sauce & fresh basil when served. YUMMY,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish it was a lot easier to print your recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete