Monday, January 27, 2014

Crockpot Lemon Garlic Chicken


Happy Crockpot Monday! I hope everyone is staying warm in this cold weather. This weeks crockpot meal is super simple. I threw it together after driving back to college, besides who wants to cook when it is so cold and snowy outside? Not to mention after a stressful drive. 

The drive back to college was seriously the worst drive ever. Normally it only takes 2.5 hours to get from my house back to school, but due to less than perfect weather it took me over five hours to get back. I don't think I ever got above 55mph. Numerous times I was stuck just sitting on the freeway, once for almost an hour and I was in park.

There were too many accidents to count and because the snow was coming down so fast there was no way to tell where the road was. I am pretty sure everyone driving was creating their own lanes. Praise the lord I finally made it back to my apartment safe and sounds. Classes were finally cancelled after 2pm because it really is dangerous out there. After all of that craziness I needed and an easy, healthy meal.

You will need:
  • 4 chicken breasts
  • 1 chicken bullion cube
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • black pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup water, if you are going to cook for more than 4 hours use 1/2 cup of water
  • Optional: 1 teaspoon oregano

Dissolve chicken bullion cube in water.

Place chicken in crockpot and pour chicken flavored water over chicken.

Brush olive oil on chicken breasts and then pour lemon juice over chicken breasts. Spread spices over chicken breasts.

If desired you can cut up the remaining lemon after squeezing out the juice and top the chicken with lemon slices for additional flavor. If some lemon seeds  fall onto chicken breasts it's ok, they can easily be brushed off.

Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.

Serve over steamed or cooked rice with cooked vegetables. You can also serve over noodles, or spaghetti squash for a gluten free alternative. Keep leftovers refrigerated in airtight container for up to six days.

No comments:

Post a Comment