Monday, January 6, 2014

Crockpot Pineapple Chicken


Happy snowy Monday! Is anyone else extremely tired of winter as well? The snow on my porch is up past my knees! I'm tempted to say the heck with it and board the next plane to Hawaii, expect I am fairly certain there are no flights leaving in these blizzard conditions. Mine as well hunker down and breakout the crockpot for a warm meal!

I must admit I did not plan this tropical recipe because it is so frigid outside; however, this tropical dish should help warm you up in the midst of the arctic winter blast. There are many versions of pineapple chicken out there, but I wanted to keep it very basic. I have made it several ways, so if you're interested in spicing it up a little I will include all the details on how to do just that. 

You will need:
  • 3 chicken breasts or a pack of thin trimmed chicken breast tenderloins
  • 1/4 cup organic low sodium chicken broth
  • 20 ounce can of organic pineapple chunks in pineapple juice (check for no added sugar) 
    • You can cut up fresh pineapple and use that instead (it's really good!) If you opt for that instead buy pineapple juice and pour between 1 1/2 and 2 cups of pineapple juice over pineapple chunks and chicken in crockpot
  • OPTIONAL: 1/2 cup low sodium teriyaki sauce
  • OPTIONAL: 1 small/medium sweet onion diced
  • OPTIONAL: Sesame seeds to sprinkle on chicken

First, pour chicken broth in bottom of crockpot.

Add in chicken breasts. If you're including teriyaki sauce pour teriyaki sauce over chicken and then toss in diced onion.

Finally pour pineapple and pineapple juice over chicken. Cover crockpot and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. 

*Personally I prefer to cook it on low I think the chicken absorbs more flavor the longer it cooks, but it is delicious either way. 

Serve over steamed brown rice or white rice with a side of vegetables. Before serving sprinkle with sesame seeds if including. I had my pineapple chicken over brown rice and a side of green beans tossed with almonds.



No comments:

Post a Comment