Happy Crockpot Monday! What a strange Monday it has been. It was like a blizzard outside this morning for a few hours, but now the sun is shining brightly and the snow from this morning has melted. I wish the weather would make up its mind and be spring already!
Anyway, this strange weather inspired my cooking. This dish is so unlike anything I've done before and I'm so excited to share it with you. I know when I hear Ratatouille I think of the Disney movie, but this ratatouille has my own spin on it.
You will need:
- 3 bell peppers any color, diced, I used red, yellow, and orange
- 2 green zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow zucchini, sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 eggplant, cut into small chunks
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 package skinless turkey sausage- for vegetarian option omit this!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounce jar natural or organic tomato paste
- OPTIONAL SEASONING: a pinch of: dried basil, red pepper flakes, parsley, and oregano
First chop up all the vegetables and the turkey sausage.
Take half of the chopped vegetables and half of the chopped turkey sausage and place it in crockpot.
Spread half of tomato paste over vegetables and sausage in crockpot.
Layer in the rest of the chopped vegetables and turkey sausage.
Before spreading remaining tomato paste over vegetables and turkey sausage add in spices if you're going to use any.
Lastly, drizzle olive oil over the top.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 5-7 hours.
Before serving use a serving spoon and stir to make sure all vegetables get coated with tomato paste.
This recipe is delicious served by itself, or over pasta noodles or spaghetti squash. Or serve it with warm french baguettes.