Sunday, March 9, 2014

Healthy Pumpkin Pie Waffles


It's already Sunday, what happened to my spring break?! I finished the last of my six papers last night, so I didn't have much of a spring break. At least I got to go home and spend time with my family and my puppy. I will make an entire spring break post later.

For now I wanted to share with you one of my delicious creations I made over spring break. I had an extra can of pumpkin laying around so I decided to put it to use. I had been researching pumpkin waffles for awhile and wasn't satisfied with what I was finding, so I ending up combining ingredients and substituting others and magically they ended up turning out! I know it's a weird time to be making pumpkin waffles, but come fall you will definitely want to try this recipe!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup oat flour
  • 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice, I used almond milk
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons of honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.

Spray waffle maker with non stick spray.

Pour batter onto waffle maker.

Cook until waffles are crispy and golden brown in color.

If you make smaller waffles you can get 6 waffles. If you make bigger waffles you can get 3 or 4. 

Top with fresh blueberries and strawberries and enjoy!

Nutrition (based on 6 waffles):
Calories: 112
Carbs: 21
Fat: 2 grams
Protein: 4 grams
Sodium: 107mg 
Sugar: 7 grams


No comments:

Post a Comment