Monday, March 31, 2014

Crockpot Santa Fe Chicken


Thank goodness for a crockpot! After a busy weekend and an early morning drive back to college I needed an easy meal. 

I have heard mixed reviews about Santa Fe chicken so naturally I had to test it out myself. It took awhile for me to figure out a recipe because there isn't a "standard" recipe to deviate from. Finally I threw all caution to the wind and just went with what I felt.

You will need:
  • pack of chicken breasts, I prefer thin sliced
  • 1 small sweet onion, diced
  • 4 green onions, diced
  • 16 ounce bag frozen organic corn
  • 14 ounce can organic diced tomatoes
  • 14 ounce can organic black beans
  • 1 cup organic low sodium chicken broth
  • garlic to taste

Pour chicken broth in crockpot then put in chicken breasts.

Layer in remaining ingredients. I put 1/2 of everything on and then repeated it for the second layer. I did sweet onion, green onion, tomatoes, corn, and black beans. Then I repeated that layer again with the remaining ingredients. 

Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. 

Serve over quinoa for a gluten free option or over rice. 



No comments:

Post a Comment