Thursday, March 13, 2014

You Are BEAUTIFUL


How do you feel when you look in the mirror? Be honest. Do you like what you see, or do you immediately start picking out your flaws? Hair that's too dull, zits that won't go away, and boobs that are too small. Why are we so obsessed with outward appearances?

Outward appearance has been something I have and continue to struggle with on a daily basis. I am also guilty of picking out my imperfections in front of the mirror: I don't have perfectly clear skin, I don't own the most fashionable clothes, I don't have the perfect body, and so-and-so is way prettier than I am. All it does though is make me self-conscious and make me feel bad about myself. So why do I still do it?

The media is constantly scrutinizing people and their bodies, especially women. Watch five minutes of Fashion Police and you will hear celebrities get called some harsh names all based on their bodies and what they're wearing. Yes some clothes are more flattering than others, but I think the larger problem is the misconception that we have the right to judge another person solely based on outward appearance. We all do it, but why? 

Is it because the media does it so we think it's ok? It's not ok. Young girls are especially impressionable and when they see their favorite celebrity getting called fat they might think they're fat too. I am a firm believer that the heavy presence of media in our lives is to blame for the exceeding number of eating disorders being diagnosed. Women who are a perfectly healthy weight go to extremes to alter their appearances because someone said they're too fat. That's not right. Why should a person have to measure up to anyone else's standards? 

One of my favorite bible verses that I recite when I am feeling bad about how I look is Psalm 139: 14: I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

God made you. You were created by the king of the universe, how unbelievably amazing is that?! He had crafted you and made you look the way you do. To him you are beautiful and loved beyond your wildest dreams.

I know it is easier said than done but other people's opinions should not determine how you feel about yourself. The creator of everything made you the way you are for a reason. Don't listen to anyone who tells you you are anything other than beautiful, because you are fearfully and wonderfully made. 

Stop trying to measure up to someone else's standards. Measure up to your own standards. Stand in front of the mirror every morning and tell yourself you are beautiful, because you are.

I am so much more than a few zits or the baggy sweatpants I like to wear. When I am at home I don't wear makeup and I walk around in sweats. I'm ok with that, because that's who I am. Embrace your flaws and stop putting yourself down and allowing others to put you down. Look up to the one who made you instead of looking around to see what others say about you. 

You are beautiful and you are loved. Forget those who tell you anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment