Monday, September 8, 2014

Crockpot Chicken Vegetable Soup


Crockpot Monday is BACK! I know some people are going to raise their eyebrows and think I am crazy, but I promise I'm not (although over 6 hours of history and gender studies reading does push a person to the brink...). The weather is finally getting a bit cooler making it totally acceptable to use the crockpot.

Between classes and the ridiculous amount of homework and reading I have to do every single day I really don't have time to cook dinner. My crockpot is my lifesaver during the school year. I also have a ton of recipes I've been itching to try! I am not one who normally likes soup, but I cannot get enough of this! I made a similar version for a family friend and taste tested a little bit. I really liked it and wanted to make it for myself, so I tweaked my recipe more to my tastes and I know I will be making this soup a ton during the winter.

Crockpot Chicken Vegetable Soup
  • Pack of 4 chicken breasts (fresh or frozen)
  • 1 medium sweet onion, diced
  • 2 cups diced carrots
  • 1 pound green beans (fresh or frozen)
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
  • 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 6 ounce can tomato paste
  • 32 ounces organic low sodium chicken broth
  • salt and pepper to taste

Line a crockpot with a liner.

Place chicken breasts on the bottom of crockpot. I did not dice up my chicken ahead of time, you can, but I prefer to break it apart once it's already cooked because it's much easier.

Layer in diced onion and carrots.

Next, dump in minced garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper and chicken broth.

Finally, place green beans and mushrooms on top.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Before serving be sure to break apart chicken if you haven't already and stir the green beans and mushrooms into the soup.


No comments:

Post a Comment