Sunday, September 28, 2014

Healthy Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Pie Pancakes


Does statistics stress anyone else out? I have an exam in stats this week and have been majorly stressing about it, especially since my professor absolutely stinks. 

Anyway this weekend I had to drive home from school for a doctor appointment. Between the doctor appointment, getting lots of blood taken (per usual by now) and studying for stats I really did not get a break. I drove back to school early this morning, grabbed a quick load of groceries before getting back to my apartment, unloaded and hit the study grind again. 

For lunch I wanted something fally, is that even a word?, and frankly after wasting so much time on school this weekend I wanted to cook. So I made chocolate chip pumpkin pie pancakes! It was breakfast for lunch and I regret nothing! These pancakes were the fluffiest pancakes I have ever made and they aren't unhealthy! Pancakes never fail to make everything better, especially when they are healthy!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat or gluten free flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon (more or less depending on your taste)
  • 1/2 cup canned organic pure pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon butter of choice, melted
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.

Once the dry ingredients are mixing together add in egg, butter, pumpkin and melted butter. Thoroughly combine ingredients.

Spray a skillet with nonstick cook spray. Heat to a medium/low heat.

When skillet is warm place batter in amounts of your choosing onto skillet, I did slightly less than 1/4 cup sized pancakes. 

When bubbles start to form flip pancakes, if bubbles do not form (the batter is dense, so this is possible) check the underside of the pancake with a spatula. When it has turned golden flip it and allow other side to cook through. 

Repeat with remaining batter. 

Serve pancakes warm with toppings of choice, or allow pancakes to cool and freeze for later.

Nutrition per pancake (I made 7 medium sized pancakes):
Calories: 80
Carbs: 12
Fat: 3 
Protein: 3
Sodium: 127
Sugar: 2


No comments:

Post a Comment