Monday, December 1, 2014

Christmas Exchange Part 2: Funfetti Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies


It's officially December, where has the time gone?! And happy Cyber Monday too, have you gotten any good deals? I'm very excited for Christmas because I love this time of year and my brother is coming home from California for Christmas!! Plus I am so ready for finals to be over- I have been studying and working on final projects and feel like my head just might burst. 

Sadly I do not have a crockpot Monday recipe to share this week. I am eating my way through my freezer to clean it out before Christmas break, so this week I will be eating the last of the minestrone and mini turkey meatball soup I made a few weeks ago. I promise I have a new crockpot recipe for next week- for a little preview it's vegan, gluten free and dairy free and super easy to make! 

Today I want to share part two of my Christmas exchange with you. Around Christmas it always seems like everyone is making sugar cookies, but good sugar cookies are hard to come by. My childhood was filled with more than a few sugar cookies that could have been used for hockey pucks. My body has a really hard time dealing with sugar now, so I had to rely on a trusted group of taste testers who were more than happy to sample and critique each batch of cookies. I landed on this recipe and I'm proud to say all of my taste testers said they were the softest sugar cookies they had ever had. So, as promised here is the recipe for the Funfetti Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies I paired with the cookies and cream puppy chow in the Christmas exchange with my friends.

Funfetti Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookies
  • 1.5 cups all purpose GF flour, or regular all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tarter, do not omit- I learned this secret from a good friend
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup sprinkles
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup butter, partially melted
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

In a mixing bowl combine flour, cream of tarter, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, chocolate chips and sprinkles. 

Once all the dry ingredients are combined add in the egg and vanilla. If you are using a stick of butter simply heat it up in the microwave to get to soften and melt. You do not want to melt all of butter, only a little bit, otherwise you will melt the sprinkles and chocolate chips.

After all ingredients are combined place dough in the fridge to chill. I left the dough in the fridge for three hours (I only did it that long because I forgot about it, whoops- you can chill it overnight though). Placing cookie dough in the fridge prevents the dough from spreading into flat, giant cookies when baking. You don't have to chill the dough, but I do recommend doing it for at least 30 minutes. 

Using your hands or a scooper form dough balls approximately 1.5 tablespoons each. I was able to get 38 dough balls. If you make them bigger you will get less. 

Place dough balls on a lined baking sheet. Gently press the top of each dough ball down- just enough to flatten the top of it.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Even if the cookies appear to be too soft they are done. 

Allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack or paper towels to cool completely. 

Store in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze for later use.




No comments:

Post a Comment