Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Meal Prep Part 2: Roasted Vegetables and Cauliflower "Mashed Potatoes"


Monday I posted the recipe for my turkey veggie meatloaf muffins I made for meal prep this week. I think it's easiest to make an entire meal and keep them in individual containers for each day so I can grab one and go. To go with the meatloaf I made a GIANT batch of roasted vegetables and cauliflower "mashed potatoes." 

I have posted several recipes for roasted vegetables. Each time I make roasted vegetables I tweak the recipe a bit. I like to play around with spices and different vegetables to get different flavor combos. For this week's veggies I made my classic roasted vegetables that are always a hit- my mom and even my friends are in love with these roasted veggies (and some of my friends are professed veggie haters!).

Roasted Vegetables
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 zucchini, sliced
  • 1 yellow summer squash, sliced
  • 8 oz. organic sliced baby bella mushrooms
  • 1/2 sweet onion, diced
  • 14 oz. organic cubed butternut squash
  • approx. 3/4 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons organic minced garlic
  • ground black pepper, to taste
  • basil, to taste
  • pinch of oregano 

Slice and dice all vegetables. 

Place all vegetables in a large ziploc bag. 

Dump in olive oil, minced garlic and spices. Seal the ziploc bag (triple check to make sure it is sealed!) and gently shake the bag. Shake the bag so all the vegetables get evenly coasted with olive oil and so the spices are distributed throughout. 

Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.

Line a baking sheet with tinfoil and gently spray nonstick cook spray or coconut oil on the sheet.

Spread the vegetables out on the baking sheet. Distribute them as evenly as possible so they can bake evenly.

Bake at 350F degrees for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes check the vegetables. They should be lightly golden, if they are not bake for an additional 5 minutes and check again- they should be done.

Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before storing. 

One serving is 1 cup. This recipe makes a little over 6 cups. 

MACROS: 14C/4F/3P
Nutrition Facts
Servings 6.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 97
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 4 g5 %
Saturated Fat 0 g2 %
Monounsaturated Fat 3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg0 %
Sodium 17 mg1 %
Potassium 648 mg19 %
Total Carbohydrate 14 g5 %
Dietary Fiber 1 g5 %
Sugars 3 g
Protein 3 g7 %
Vitamin A152 %
Vitamin C95 %
Calcium7 %
Iron7 %


While the vegetables and 
meatloaf were cooking (yes I cooked them at the same time) I also made cauliflower "mashed potatoes." I have heard a lot of good things about cauliflower mashed potatoes and seen them all over Pintrest. To be honest I had my doubts since I don't even like mashed potatoes, but I figured I mine as well try everything once. 

I was pleasantly SHOCKED when I was the cauliflower literally become mashed potato like in the food processor. It came out as the same consistency and looked identical to mashed potatoes. Not to mention is tastes really good. You could definitely swap this for mashed potatoes and no one would notice. 

Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
  • 1 small head of cauliflower
  • 1 heaping teaspoon organic minced garlic
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • ground black pepper, to taste

Wash the cauliflower and cut it up into medium sized pieces. 

Place the cut cauliflower into a pot and fill with enough water to cover all of the cauliflower.

Cover the pan and bring it to a boil.

When the water begins to boil turn down the heat slightly. Keep the lid on the pot, but tilt the lid in to vent the pot. Allow the cauliflower to cook for 8-9 minutes. It should be very tender when it is done.

Once it is done cooking, drain the water and pat the cauliflower dry. YOU MUST DRY THE CAULIFLOWER. If you don't your "mashed potatoes" will be runny and no one likes runny potatoes.

Place all cauliflower, almond milk, minced garlic and pepper in a food processor or a blender. Process until smooth and no chunks remain. You may have to stop periodically and scrape down the sides.

Serve immediately or allow to cool and store in the refrigerator.

I used 1/3 cup as 1 serving. This makes a bit over 6 servings of 1/3 cup. 

MACROS: 0C/0F/0P- crazy right?
Nutrition Facts
Servings 6.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 2
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0 g0 %
Saturated Fat 0 g0 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg0 %
Sodium 9 mg0 %
Potassium 5 mg0 %
Total Carbohydrate 0 g0 %
Dietary Fiber 0 g0 %
Sugars 0 g
Protein 0 g0 %
Vitamin A1 %
Vitamin C1 %
Calcium3 %
Iron0 %


No comments:

Post a Comment