Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Taco Chicken Leftovers

Cleaning out the fridge and freezing can be a rather unpleasant task. However, in all of my moves to and from college I have learned a few things. 1. I never keep more food in the fridge than I will eat in a week- there are a few notable exceptions like eggs and almond milk. 2. I keep track of everything in my freezer. I didn't want to throw anything away or have anything go to waste so I developed meal plans that included leftovers I had frozen in so they wouldn't be tossed before I moved.


I had a small container of leftover crockpot taco chicken frozen in. I didn't have a head of lettuce that I could use for lettuce wraps (I prefer lettuce wraps to gluten free taco shells anyway), so I used kale, spinach, and other veggies I had on hand to make a taco salad. 

Leftover Taco Chicken Tacoless Salad
  • Leftover crockpot taco chicken
  • 2 cups kale and spinach mix
  • 1/2 on the vine tomato, diced
  • 1/8 cup avocado, diced
  • 2 mini sweet peppers, diced
  • 1 tablespoon taco cheese

I didn't have any beans on hand so I couldn't add beans to the salad. You could definitely add jalapeƱos to the salad too, I personally don't like jalapeƱos. 

You could even cook a (gluten free) wrap in a oven safe bowl for a little bit to get the wrap crispy and then put the salad inside the wrap if you're looking for a taco salad in a taco shell- it would be a much healthier alternative to the deep fried taco shells that are served in restaurants.


Another way I used up the leftover taco chicken was by having it on a sandwich. All that it is is gluten free bread, a slice of avocado that has been mashed, 1 cooked egg white (3 tablespoons of egg white), and leftover taco chicken. It may sound like a strange combo, but it's actually really good! How do you enjoy leftovers? Any strange combinations that you adore?

Once I get unpacked and get groceries I will have new recipes up! Have a great Tuesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment