Thursday, February 15, 2018

Valentine's Day and Dogs: Thinking Out Loud #76

Happy Thursday and a belated Happy Valentine's Day! It was over 50 here and sunny yesterday so I soaked up every minute of sunshine I could while working. Maybe it's the kid in me, but I love Valentine's Day. It's so nice to see so much love because the world could use a lot more of it, especially in light of yesterday's events in Florida. I'll get to that in a moment, but for now let's jump into this weeks thinking out loud.


1. I may have done another story with a dog😃 my coworkers are joking that I'm on the dog beat, which is partially true. If there's a cool story about a dog in the city I'm going to find it and report on it. This cuties name is Priscilla and she's a comfort dog for first responders. She was so mellow and her handlers were amazing. Dogs really just are the best🐶


2. I received a comment a few days ago saying I talked about my job too much. I'm sorry if you feel that way, but 1. I genuinely love my job and 2. you don't have to read anything I write. I adore my job because every single day I get to go out into the community, talk to people, and share stories that matter. Of course there's hard day, heck there's day when I come home crying but at the end of the day I wouldn't trade my job for the world. If you think I talk about my job too much, I'm sorry, but maybe you should find something you're equally passionate about. 


3. Yesterday work was so chaotic, but I came back from a police briefing and these gorgeous flowers were waiting for me. It was such a surprise and it made my day. Who doesn't love feeling loved on Valentine's Day?! These beauties have definitely brightened up my apartment. 


4. I decided to try HelloFresh since I'm almost never home and having food delivered to your door just seemed convenient. The three meals I got were alright, but I was disappointed in the lack of quality of the produce sent to me. Some of the items were clearly not overly fresh and I didn't feel overly safe eating the meat because the box shipped out on Monday and got to me on Thursday night. I know the meat was on dry ice, but it was not totally frozen when I got the box which concerned me. Overall I probably wouldn't get another box not only because of price, but because of lack of freshness, and lack of selection for dietary restrictions.


5. I'm an immensely private person. I value keeping my personal life personal. However, I decided to open up and share a little bit about my #MeToo moments. I will not go into further detail because it's not necessary and I'd rather not dig up old wounds. I do think the #MeToo movement has created an important conversation. Harassment, sexual or not, are never ok. No means NO. While I question how much impact this movement will have, my hopes are high, I am proud that it started the conversation and several people have been held accountable for their actions. I hope that parents will take the time to educate their kids on consent, what harassment is, and how to stop it.

6. Yesterday's shooting in Parkland, FL broke my heart. Any time a shooting report comes in it's a tough pill to swallow. I've seriously lost count of how many shootings we've reported on in recent months because there's been so many. My heart breaks for all the victims, families, survivors, and school administrators. A school shooting is truly everyone's worst nightmare. I find it horrific that schools now have active shooter drills because the reality is all too frightening. Tears were shed in the newsroom yesterday. Reporters aren't just robots, we have feelings and any shooting is hard to stomach, especially when kids are involved. Pray for Parkland may seem like empty words, but I truly believe only God can help this country. I don't have an answer to stop the violence, but I think some tough questions need to be asked about gun control, mental health issues, and other issues. I'm at a loss of how to express my sympathy to everyone involved, all I can say is my heart breaks for the community and everyone involved.


7. I'm going to end with this quote. It's so important that we realize how strong every person really is. Everyone is fighting a battle, often times we just don't know about it. Love your strength, love your determination to get through, and love who you are. There's not a single other person exactly like you. You are irreplaceable.  

Have a terrific Thursday and a great weekend🎉🎉🎉

What is something you love about yourself and why?

How did you celebrate Valentine's Day?

1 comment:

  1. The shooting in Florida was SOO sad too; we were praying for the people affected at the prayer meeting last night.

    Rachael, I LOVE how you talk about your job so much, because it's SOO fun to see how much you love it. And it's fun that you can do stories on the animals you love so much too.

    I am thankful for the #MeToo Movement starting a conversation too; my sisters and I had a really good talk yesterday about it and how we need to bring things to the light, especially as Jesus followers.

    ReplyDelete