Thursday, March 19, 2020

Coronavirus and Quarantine: Thinking Out Loud #129

Happy Thursday! It's been a little over a month since I last posted and my how things have changed. Last month my husband and I were talking about where we might want to go for a short weekend away and now I'm in quarantine at home so I don't get sick with coronavirus- I'm a high risk person since I have lupus and other underlying health conditions but I'll explain more later. It's only been a few days, but it's been a rollercoaster from feeling trapped to actually learning to enjoy being still. This probably won't be a normal thinking out loud, but let's jump in!  


1. Let's take a minute to talk about this stockpiling toilet paper craziness. There is no scientific evidence that coronavirus causes diarrhea, therefore you do not need 105 rolls of toilet paper stockpiled in your basement. My husband and I legitimately needed toilet paper last week and it took us half a dozen stores before we could find it. Stop buying and hoarding, grocery stores have been ordered to stay open so you can still go buy everything you need. Remember if you're hoarding you're taking supplies away from someone with cancer or a suppressed immune system that it's literally dangerous for them to go shopping. Don't be that person.


2. Let's talk about "the media." The media did not invent coronavirus. The media did not tell you to buy 800 rolls of toilet paper. All the media did tell you to do is wash your hands. As a reporter there's nothing I hate more than hearing the phrases "the media" and "fake news." Your local news reporters have been working day and night to get you the latest news about coronavirus to keep you and your families safe. Reporters are risking their own health and safety to tell the stories you need to know. Stop bagging on them and being rude. We are not paid enough to deal with your hate. Why don't you go count all the toilet paper you have stock piled in your basement instead of hating on us on social media.


3. These times are scary and uncertain, but the average healthy person- no underlying health conditions and under the age of 60 will fight coronavirus just fine. HOWEVER, please don't be going out to restaurants and bars disregarding the health and safety of others. Many young people are carries of coronavirus and don't even know it. By going out you're spreading the disease to every person you come in contact with. Don't be an a**hole, just stay home. Also, if you can please check on your elderly neighbors. The elderly are the most vulnerable. We delivered groceries for an elderly woman with a heart condition whose doctor told her not to go out. It does not take much effort to be a good human. Watch out for those who can't watch out for themselves. 


4. Work sent me home on Tuesday with the orders to work from home for the indefinite future. As I've talked about previously I have lupus. It's an autoimmune condition that suppresses my body's ability to fight off infection. While the average person might get a bad cold, I'll get that same cold but my body can't fight it so I'll end up in the ER for complications. My white blood cell count, they help fight infections in the body, is really low right now which also makes me more susceptible to illnesses like coronavirus. Working from home has been a challenge with two needy dogs but we are making the best of it. We're still washing our hands a ton (the CDC recommends washing with soap for at least 20 seconds) and avoiding going anywhere. So far the dogs are loving it because they're getting more attention than normal and I certainly don't mind all the extra puppy snuggles. 


5. Here's my take on all the craziness that is happening right now. I had shared some of it on my instagram earlier this week, but I'll share it again. There's no need for worry, fear, or panic. God is still in control. God is still good. God still has a plan. We don't know what that plan is so naturally we worry, but we're not supposed to. We're supposed to take each day our daily bread. We only face one day at a time and the bible says each days worries are enough. We don't have to worry about today or tomorrow. Trust me I know it's tough. No one knows where their jobs stand, heck even I don't, but I'm not worried. I was asked the other day if I'm worried because I'm in the high risk group and I can confidently say no, no I'm not. If God's will is for me to get coronavirus and recover from it, so be it. If his will is to take me home, awesome I won't have to worry about a crappy immune system anymore. None of us know anything for certain. All I do know is that God is in control so I'm good with that. 

I know time are uncertain but count your blessings not your problems. Have a great rest of the week and a wonderful weekend (at home)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment