Monday, November 4, 2013

Crockpot Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup- Low Sodium

Being away from home is rough, but being away from home when you're sick is the worst. Growing up when I was sick my mom would always make me her famous chicken noodle soup. Her chicken noodle soup has nursed me through mono, the flu, and just about every other illness there is. My mom was even awesome enough to bring some to me in college last year when her and my dad came to visit. I love her chicken noodle soup. 

When I got really sick this past week I wanted to call my mom and beg her to come and make me chicken noodle soup. As much as I wanted my moms chicken noodle soup I also wanted my mom. I know I am a grown college student, but sitting in the college medical clinic after having numerous tests run on me and doctors telling me they don't know what's wrong with me brought me close to a breakdown. I am ok with the fact that I still need my mom sometimes. 

I spent much of the weekend laying around in bed sleeping and fighting off migraines, oh the joys of being sick! I have been careful in what I've been eating because my stomach has been sensitive so I finally decided enough was enough and I was going to make some chicken noodle soup. I did not feel like cooking over a stove, so naturally I did what I do best and threw everything in the crockpot. My chicken noodle soup turned out really good, but it is not as good as my moms (maybe one day she will teach me her secret). I promise this is an easy recipe and easy on the stomach which is good when you're sick!

You will need:
  • 3 chicken breasts
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 4 large organic carrots sliced
  • 1 cup sliced celery (I did not include this because I don't like celery in my soup)
  • 6 cups organic low sodium chicken broth
  • pinch of garlic salt and pepper
  • 3 cups whole grain pasta 

Sprinkle pepper and garlic salt over chicken breasts, then place chicken breasts in crockpot.

Pour 2 cups organic low sodium chicken broth into crockpot. 

Add carrots and onion (and celery if including) into crockpot.

Pour the remaining 4 cups chicken broth into crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.

This is the type of
noodle I used.
In the last hour of cooking add the noodles into the crockpot. Make sure to fully submerge the noodles into the chicken broth. Cook for one additional hour.

Pasta will turn a light
brown when ready.
I broke the chicken apart after it had already cooked, it easily fell apart. You can cut the chicken up before cooking if you'd prefer. 

I got enough chicken noodle soup for five servings. While it is isn't as good as my mom's it did help my stomach and frankly it was still delicious!

If you make them tag me on instagram and use the hashtag #thesimplelife and go like my new page on Facebook! 

Nutrition per serving:
Calories: 213 
Carbs: 28
Fat: 3 grams
Protein: 21 grams
Sodium: 232mg
Sugars: 6 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment