Sunday, November 17, 2013

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies- Gluten Free!!


I was going through my camera and I found a bunch of pictures for recipes I haven't yet uploaded. Now all I need is a solid day of nothing going on, which is never going to happen, to get everything posted! 

One weekend I was home from college I decided to revamp the traditional cookie recipe. My dad, who is opposed to eating anything remotely healthy, loves chocolate chip cookies, so being the adventurous baker set out to figure out how to make chocolate chip cookies that were healthier but still tasted delicious. The cookies that I whipped up were delicious! My dad was skeptical because they "looked different" but he did try one and while he said the texture was different he somehow managed to eat the whole thing, imagine that!! The cookies were so moist and contain only a fraction of the calories of a traditional chocolate chip cookie has. Needless to say my mom and I might have eaten a couple of these bad boys too...

You will need:

  • 1 cup almond flour/meal
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • between 1/4 and 1/3 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup organic agave nectar, can substitute 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with tin foil or parchment paper. 

In a mixing bowl combine almond flour and baking soda.

Add in the wet ingredients and mix well.

Finally mix in the chocolate chips.

Drop approximately 1 tablespoon of cookie dough onto lined cookie sheet. Place cookies a few inches apart because the cookies will spread. You should be able to get between 12 and 15 cookies.

Bake cookies at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Allow the cookies to cool before removing from cookie sheet. Store in an airtight container to keep fresh.

*NOTE! These cookies are naturally more crumbly because of the almond flour. They will be what my dad called "floppy" and break apart easier. But they are extremely moist and a healthier alternative to the classic chocolate chip cookie.

Nutrition per cookie (based on 12 cookies):
Calories: 86, 68 for 15 cookies
Carbs: 8
Fat: 5 grams
Protein: 3 grams
Sodium: 58mg
Sugar: 7 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment