Monday, November 18, 2013

Skinny Crockpot Balsamic Chicken- Gluten Free


Happy Crockpot Monday! Today has been the perfect day to use my crockpot. It is cold and gloomy outside and all I want to do it curl up in my cozy bed and read a good book. However, reality dictates that I need to go to class to take an exam, a Nicholas Sparks novel sounds much more appealing. Regardless I don't feel like cooking and it's Monday so my tradition of crockpot Monday lives on! 

I have had Balsamic Chicken in the past and loved it! I loved how moist the chicken was and how all the flavors blended perfectly together, but then I found the nutrition facts (restaurants should have to post those in menus!) and well let's just say I wasn't as pleased. Healthy eating shouldn't have to be about sacrificing flavor or your favorite foods, it should be about moderation and finding healthy alternatives. So I did what I do best and began to research Balsamic Chicken. Let me tell you there are a ton of recipes out there for balsamic chicken! My goal was to create a perfect balance of flavor while still keeping the meal healthy. So without further adieu I proudly present you with my latest creation Skinny Crockpot Balsamic Chicken!

You will need:
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, I used Tyson thin sliced
  • 28 ounce, or two 14.5 ounce cans work, can of organic diced tomatoes
  • 1 medium onion diced
  • tablespoon of freshly minced garlic, don't have to include this
  • 1/2 cup organic white balsamic vinegar, can also use regular balsamic vinegar but it is not gluten free
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • pinch of pepper

First line crockpot with liner, it will save you a lot of time come clean up!

Pour olive oil in bottom of crockpot.

Sprinkle chicken breasts with pepper and add to crockpot.

Next, add diced onion and mince garlic (if including) into crockpot.

Pour in white balsamic vinegar.

Finally, add diced tomatoes on top of everything. 

Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high for 4-5 hours.

Serve over spaghetti squash or whole grain pasta. 

Nutrition per serving (makes four servings):
Calories: 280
Carbs: 33
Fats: 5 grams
Protein: 29 grams
Sodium: 456 mg
Sugars: 20 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment