Sunday, August 31, 2014

Crockpot Chicken Jambalaya


Breakout the crockpot because it's almost fall, unless you walk outside right now...The weather seems to be confused. Of course it's been relatively coolish all summer then I move back to school and BAM it get smoking hot again. I always hate that- I can't enjoy the weather while I'm stuck in classes all day and it's depressing.

I tripled checked that I packed my crockpot before leaving home. For those who have been reading for awhile I live off my crockpot during the school year (eventually I will get back to my crockpot Monday posts). With my crockpot I make enough food for the week, so I can come back from class and just heat up leftovers. Leftovers make my life so much easier, especially when I come back from class really late and hangry.

I have never had jambalaya before. The sodium content is too high for my liking and shrimp freaks me out. I wanted to try it so I decided to switch out the shrimp for turkey sausage. It was so delicious and it made a giant amount of food- 9 servings! 

Crockpot Chicken Jambalaya
  • 1/2 package Tyson Chicken breast tenderloins
  • 1 low fat turkey skinless turkey sausage-I bought a 13 oz. package (two sausages) and only used 1 of the sausages
  • 16 oz frozen stir fry vegetables
  • 14.5 ounce organic diced tomatoes
  • 8 ounces reduced sodium Jambalaya rice mix
  • 2 cups water

Line crockpot with crockpot liner.

Dump frozen vegetables into the bottom of the crockpot.

Cut turkey sausage in thin slices, then cut it in half.

Place chicken breast tenderloins and turkey sausages on top of vegetables.

Pour diced tomatoes on top of meat and then pour in water.

Cover crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or low for 3 hours.

40 minutes before serving add jambalaya rice mix into crockpot, stir in and switch crockpot to high. 

If you are really hungry (or hangry like I was...) you can eat a bit after 20 minutes, but it will still be watery because the water won't be fully absorbed yet.

Nutrition per serving (serves 9):
Calories: 165
Carbs: 7
Fat: 3
Protein: 17 
Sodium: 373
Sugar: 4


No comments:

Post a Comment