Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Eating Out


Sometimes it's nice to not have to cook, especially when on vacation. I am definitely not someone who frequents restaurants- it's cheaper to prepare and pack food at home and eating healthy (and gluten free) at restaurants can be a challenge. 

After spending all afternoon on the lake under the hot sun I was tired and did not feel like cooking. It took awhile, but we finally got everyone to agree to a small family style restaurant. Small towns tend to love their fried foods and "cholesterol clogging breakfasts" as my mom calls them. While it is a challenge eating healthy is not impossible.

I ordered the Michigan Salad with Grilled Chicken. The salad came on a giant plate- it was enough for two meals (leftovers for lunch YAY!) It had iceberg lettuce and a bit of romaine lettuce, dried cherries, slivered pecans, mandarin oranges, red onions and lightly seasoned grilled chicken. It was supposed to be tossed in a raspberry vinaigrette dressing, but I ordered the the salad without the dressing. 

The salad was better than I expected! The chicken was grilled perfectly and the manderin oranges were not too sweet. I really enjoyed the salad and plan on making my own version at home with some additional veggies and organic spring mix lettuce.




No comments:

Post a Comment