Monday, August 4, 2014

Morning Run and Post Run Smoothie

After resting up from traveling I hit the trails bright and early for a run. It was so refreshing to be back out running and even though it was not an overly long run I still enjoyed being back at it. 

Once I cooled down and stretched I was hungry. I love smoothies and nothing beats a fresh fruit smoothie made with delicious summer fruits. Smoothies are a great pre and post workout snack/meal because they are loaded with protein and the carbohydrates help your body recover from a workout. This strawberry banana smoothie is my go to smoothie because it is loaded with 33 grams of protein and it tastes like a dessert!


Strawberry Banana Protein Smoothie
  • 1 small frozen banana
  • 1 cup frozen strawberries (about 6 medium berries sliced)- I cut and freeze my own, but if you're going to buy frozen make sure they are unsweetened
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or skim milk
  • 1 scoop protein powder of choice, this morning I used cookies and cream

Blend banana and milk together first. When the banana is almost completely pureed add in protein powder.

Once protein powder and banana are completely blended stop blender and add in strawberries.

Blend until no chunks remain and it is smooth. The smoothie thickness will depend on if you are using fresh or frozen fruit and the type of protein powder you are using.

If you make them tag me on instagram and use the hashtag #thesimplelife and go like my new page on Facebook!

Nutrition (serves 1):
Calories: 312
Carbs: 42 grams
Fat: 2 grams
Protein: 33 grams
Sodium: 259 mg
Sugar: 26 grams

*Nutrition Note: Some are going to say the carbs and sugar content is too high, but it really is not. The sugars are all natural from fruit and not artificial junk found in highly processed foods. The 33 grams of protein will help keep you full all morning and the carbs will help your body recover from a workout.


No comments:

Post a Comment