Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Untimely Heat Wave


Heat waves never come at a good time do they? Yesterday was the first day of classes and of course it was 90 degrees, with the heat index it was 93 and 90% humidity. UGH. Thankfully I only had one class yesterday, but of course it was at 4:30 right in the heat of the day. I love summer, but couldn't we have had this nice weather when it was actually summer?! 

With it being the first day of classes I wanted to make a hearty, healthy meal to start the semester off on the right foot. I made a giant batch of oven roasted vegetables that are seriously to die for, roasted salmon, green beans with slivered almonds and some raw cauliflower and broccoli. I may have been craving vegetables and I definitely got my fix! 



Sometimes I find it hard to get all my servings of vegetables in in a day. After making roasted vegetables I know that it will never be a problem because I look forward to eating leftovers, so my freezer will always be stocked with roasted veggies!

Oven Roasted Vegetables
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 yellow bell pepper
  • 1 small red onion
  • 1 broccoli crown or 1/2 large head of broccoli
  • 1/2 head cauliflower
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

Wash and cut up all vegetables. 

Line a baking sheet with tinfoil and spray with nonstick cook spray so vegetables won't stick to sheet and burn.

Spread vegetables out evenly over baking sheet. They should be as close to a single layer as possible.

Carefully drizzle olive oil over vegetables. 

Sprinkle salt and pepper over vegetables to your liking. 

Bake veggies at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. The vegetables will be golden and slightly crispy when done. 



Salmon is a wonderful food for your brain! Plus it is one of my absolute favorite foods so I also had it with my roasted vegetables. It worked out perfectly because salmon bakes at 400 degrees so you can cook salmon and the vegetables at the same time.

Place salmon on tin foil and lightly spray the top with nonstick cook spray or coconut oil. I seasoned mine with GF seafood seasoning I found at Costco. Bake salmon at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Salmon is done when it is tender and easily flakes when prodded with a fork.


I know I've shared my green beans with slivered almonds recipe before, but I'll share it again.

Cut the ends of the green beans off. Place all trimmed green beans in a pot and fill with just enough water to cover the top of the green beans. Bring pot to a boil, then reduce heat to a medium/low and allow to simmer for 12 minutes. The green beans will be tender when they are done. Drain water from pot. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of garlic salt in with almonds and toss to coat. Add in 2 tablespoons of slivered almonds.



Finally, I had a little bit of raw cauliflower and broccoli, maybe 1/3 cup of each. 

Unfortunately I have to get ready to go to class- I have four classes in a row today yuck! On the bright side I get to go home Thursday night for a long Labor Day weekend. I can't wait to see my puppy! Have a great Tuesday!

P.S. I apologize for not responding to emails, I've been having problems with Internet and getting things to load properly. I hope to get all the kinks worked out ASAP, thank you for your patience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment