Thursday, September 18, 2014

Stress Free Saturday Night Dinner


Saturday night I felt like cooking. Cooking is relaxing to me and after a stressful day of working on a statistics project, hundreds of pages of reading and memorizing terms and concepts for an upcoming exam I needed to unwind. 

I still had one leftover turkey sausage frozen in from when I made crockpot jambalaya so I put it in the fridge to thaw for a bit. I had a hankering for vegetables, so I made lots of them, besides you can never go wrong with leftovers! 

My meal was basically thrown together from what sounded good and what I had in my fridge/freezer. I ended up eating a ton, but it was much needed fuel. I had my turkey sausage stir fry, 1 cup spaghetti squash topped with GF organic marinara sauce and a tablespoon of freshly grated mozzarella cheese, a baby sweet potato and a gluten free corn muffin. I was in a food coma afterward.

I have made a similar turkey sausage stir fry before, but I will post the recipe anyways!

Turkey Sausage Stir Fry
  • 1 low fat turkey sausage
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 orange bell pepper, diced
  • 1 yellow squash, sliced
  • 1 zucchini, sliced

Spray a skillet with nonstick cook spray. Heat skillet to a medium/low setting.

Add turkey sausage to skillet. Brown the sausage on both sides. Once both sides are brown remove turkey sausage from skillet, place in a bowl and cover with tinfoil. 

Respray pan with nonstick cook spray. Add onion, bell peppers, zucchini and squash to pan. 

Sauté vegetable until lightly browned on both sides. Stir and flip occasionally to cook all vegetable evenly. 

When vegetables are brown reduce heat to a low setting, or just low, and add turkey sausage back in.

Allow the turkey sausage to soak up flavors of the vegetables for two to three minutes stirring occasionally. 

Remove pan from heat and serve. Store leftovers in airtight container in refrigerator for up to three days or freeze for later use.


No comments:

Post a Comment