Monday, December 8, 2014

Crockpot Vegetable Soup (Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Vegan)


I'm not sure if I should say happy Monday or not because it is Monday of finals week. In a few short hours I have to take my statistics exam that I have seriously studied my brains out for. No joke I've woken up doing statistics in my sleep, scary I know. I cannot wait for finals to be over and go home! 

This weekend I basically went off the grid, which in a strange way was rather nice. I hardly turned my phone on and tried to keep Internet usage on my laptop to a minimum- minus yesterday's study break which I finally posted my Thanksgiving recap and may have wound up watching buzzfeed videos (seriously no clue how I ended up there). I've been studying like a mad woman for my stats exam and really needed an easy meal for finals week. I've been craving vegetables (is that strange?) and soup sounded nice in the cold weather, thus I present Crockpot Monday Vegetable Soup! 

Crockpot Vegetable Soup
  • 1 large sweet potato, cut into chunks
  • 1 medium sweet onion, diced
  • 8 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
  • 2 lb. frozen vegetable mix, I used Meijer brand which had carrots, peas, green beans and corn
  • 28 oz organic diced tomatoes
  • 32 oz organic low sodium chicken broth, can substitute vegetable stock 
  • splash of olive oil, approx. 1-2 teaspoons, you can omit this
  • ground black pepper, to taste
  • fresh or dried basil, to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic

In the crockpot add the splash of olive oil, then layer in the onion, sweet potato and about half of the mushrooms. 

Next, dump in the entire bag of frozen vegetables. 

On top of the frozen vegetables dump the remaining mushrooms.

Dump the entire can of diced tomatoes on top of all the vegetables, then pour in the chicken broth. 

Finally top with ground black pepper and basil to taste. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Stir the soup to mix around all the vegetables before serving. I served the soup with gluten free corn bread.

Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for later use.

Nutrition per serving, serves 10 (macros will vary depending on what products you use):
Calories: 59
Carbs: 10 grams
Fat: 0 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Protein: 3 grams
Sodium: 148 mg
Sugar: 5 grams


No comments:

Post a Comment