Monday, April 6, 2015

Lemon Herb Chicken


Happy Meal Prep Monday! I hope you had a wonderful Easter. Easter was a little sad for me because I with school and various projects going on I wasn't able to go home to my family (my third year in a row not being able to go home). This year definitely hit me harder than it had in the past and even though my family doesn't do an extravagant meal I still missed going to church as a family and just spending time together. Thankfully I get to go home next weekend and we are having a delayed Easter dinner and dying eggs- you're never too old to dye eggs. 

Monday's are normally my crockpot days, but I have needed a break from my beloved crockpot. This is my second week away from the crockpot, last week I made turkey veggie meatloaf muffins, roasted vegetables and cauliflower mashed potatoes

This week I wanted a meal that really scream spring and I don't know what screams spring more than lemon herb chicken. Lemons remind me of spring with their bright color and they have a burst of flavor, like a burst of sunshine after a long winter. Too cheesy? Anyway this chicken is really good and bursting with lemon. It's a warm dose of spring with a side of all things delicious and healthy (not to mention it's crazy easy to make)!!

Lemon Herb Chicken
  • 1 lb organic boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloins
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon organic minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • ground black pepper to taste

In a large ziploc bag combine chicken, lemon zest, oregano, minced garlic, lemon juice and pepper.

Gently toss the chicken in the ziploc bag to coat all the chicken with lemon and spices.

Allow the chicken to marinate for as long as possible and you can even do it overnight. Allowing the chicken to marinate is not necessary, but highly recommended. 

Spray a large skillet with nonstick cook spray and preheat it to a medium setting.

Once the skillet is warm add the chicken breasts. Allow them to cook for 5-6 minutes per side. 

Before removing the chicken from heat make sure to check that it is done. Cut into the chicken and if the juice runs clear it is done. If the juice is pink the chicken needs more time to cook. 

Serve the chicken immediately or allow it to cool completely before storing in an airtight container. 

I made this chicken as part of this weeks meal prep. I paired the chicken with roasted asparagus and grape tomatoes and homemade mango strawberry salsa. Both of those recipes will be posted this week. Happy meal prepping! 

Nutrition information (I had exactly one pound of chicken, so my serving size was two chicken tenderloins, it will vary on the size and type of chicken you use):

MACROS: 2C/0F/24P
Nutrition Facts
Servings 4.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 106
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0 g1 %
Saturated Fat 0 g0 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 52 mg17 %
Sodium 38 mg2 %
Potassium 4 mg0 %
Total Carbohydrate 2 g1 %
Dietary Fiber 0 g1 %
Sugars 0 g
Protein 24 g49 %
Vitamin A0 %
Vitamin C15 %
Calcium0 %
Iron0 %

No comments:

Post a Comment