Monday, June 29, 2015

Meal Prep: Lean Zucchini Lasagna


Hard to believe it's already Monday, but it was such a fun weekend! A little laughter, a little wine, and awesome people are good for the soul. The weekend was packed full of fun between Painting with a Twist and my cousins bridal shower there was a lot to celebrate, but I will keep that for the weekend recap I will post later.

I am also getting CRAZY EXCITED to go to Pittsburgh! I have been setting stuff aside already because it's never too early to pack! If you have any ideas of things to do, places to eat, or anything please let me know! I can't wait to see Sam and Amanda

Enough of my rambling let's get to the meal prep! With all of the festivities this weekend I needed something simple because I didn't have hours to prep- nor do I want to spend hours prepping. I wanted to do something different, but I wanted it to be packed with protein. When I was thinking of ideas for some reason lasagna popped into my head. I don't like lasagna because it's very heavy and mounds of noodles (that I can't eat) and cheese aren't really my thing. I ditched the noodles, cheese, and swapped out the ground beef. I'm very happy with the yummy results and it has a whopping 43 grams of protein

Lean Zucchini Lasagna 
  • 1 large zucchini, cut into 3 even sections
  • 1 lb organic ground chicken
  • seasonings, to taste (I used a little bit of garlic, onion, and pepper)
  • 1/3 sweet or purple onion, diced (can add more or less to taste)
  • 1 1/3 cup organic low sodium sugar free marinara sauce
  • 1 egg white
  • 3/4 cup 1% low fat cottage cheese
  • 3 Tablespoons egg white

Create 3 tinfoil containers. I took a tupperware container and lined it with tinfoil to get the depth and shape, remove the tinfoil from the container and place it in a baking pan. You can also use 12 oz. glass jars- just make sure they're oven safe!

Slice then dice one zucchini at a time and place it in one of the tinfoil containers. Repeat with the other sections of zucchini in the other containers.

Spray a large skillet with nonstick cook spray and heat it to medium. 

Add the ground chicken and onion, breaking the chicken apart with a spatula and add desired seasonings. Stir and flip occasionally so the chicken does not burn. 

Drain any fat or water from the pan and return it to heat. 

Add the marinara sauce to pan and allow the chicken to absorb some of it for 1-2 minutes. 

Remove pan from heat and set aside. 

In a small mixing bowl mix together cottage cheese and egg white.

Take 1/3 cup of meat/meat sauce and scoop it into one of the tinfoil containers. 

Layer 2 Tablespoons of cottage cheese/egg white on top of the meat in the tinfoil containers. 

Repeat with other two containers.

Once the first layer has been made add 1/8-1/4 cup of meat sauce on top of cottage cheese layer and then layer in more cottage cheese. 

Layer any remaining meat sauce on top of last cottage cheese layer. Your last layer of lasagna should be meat sauce.

Preheat oven to 350F degrees.

Place all tinfoil containers in a baking sheet, if not already done. 

Bake at 350F degrees for 25-30 minutes. 

Allow the containers to cool before removing and storing in the fridge for the week. I cut up strawberries and lemon drop melon to go with the lasagna.

Nutrition per serving (makes 3 servings):
MACROS: 21C/16F/43P
Nutrition Facts
Servings 3.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 361
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 16 g25 %
Saturated Fat 4 g20 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 120 mg40 %
Sodium 1011 mg42 %
Potassium 457 mg13 %
Total Carbohydrate 21 g7 %
Dietary Fiber 3 g14 %
Sugars 12 g
Protein 43 g85 %
Vitamin A20 %
Vitamin C53 %
Calcium16 %
Iron19 %




No comments:

Post a Comment