Monday, June 1, 2015

Meal Prep Monday: Salmon Burgers


Happy Meal Prep Monday!! The weekends seem to be FLYING by, or is it just me?! It rained poured for most of the weekend so the do list got switched from outdoor work to indoor work. It got freezing cold on Sunday, but it's supposed to warm up this week so fingers crossed that June is sunny and warm!

On a side note now that it's officially June only 20 days until my birthday!! I got excited because I got my notice that it's time to renew my drivers license. Everyone thought I was weird for getting excited about having to go to secretary of state but I get to take a new picture and I am thrilled that I won't look 16 in my pictures (goodbye ugly t-shirt!). 

Anyway this weeks meal prep is super simple! I made salmon burgers and a berry pecan salad for lunch at work. I don't want to make this post a mile long so I will post the salad soon. These salmon burgers took me less than 10 minutes to prep and pop in the oven. When I used the frozen salmon it did take me a little longer only because I had to cook the frozen salmon for a bit and then do the rest of the prep, but regardless it is an easy peasy meal that is ready in well under an hour! It's packed with protein that is sure to power you through your work day!

Salmon Burgers
  • 13 ounces raw salmon, skin off
  • 1 small onion, sweet or spring work best
  • 2 Tablespoons gluten free breadcrumbs
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (add more or less to taste)
  • 1/4 teaspoon dill seafood seasoning
  • pinch ground black pepper
  • pinch garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 6 Tablespoons egg whites

Line a baking sheet with tinfoil and spray with nonstick cook spray or coconut oil. 

Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.

First dice the onion.

For the salmon you can use frozen salmon, however you will have to cook it for a bit first. For the frozen salmon I cooked it at 400F for 12 minutes, then broke it apart and put it in the food processor.

Cut the raw salmon into chunks and add to food processor. 

Add the onion to the food processor with the salmon. Process until everything is minced.

When the salmon and onion are combine add the remaining ingredients to the processor- bread crumbs, lime zest, chili powder, pepper, garlic powder, mustard, and egg whites.

Process until everything is well combined, but you don't want to over process everything and make a paste.

Scoop 1/2 cup of the burger mixture at a time onto the baking sheet. This will make 5 burgers.

I used a fork and pressed the patties down to be thinner and more "burger like."

If the salmon is completely raw cook at 400F for 18 minutes, flipping the burgers halfway through. 

If the salmon was frozen and had to be cooked cook for 7 minutes, flipping halfway through. 

Cook time may vary depending on the strength of your oven.

Serve warm or allow burgers to cool before storing in fridge. Burgers also freeze nicely.

Nutrition per serving:
MACROS: 4C/4F/17P
Nutrition Facts
Servings 5.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 161
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 4 g6 %
Saturated Fat 2 g10 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 13 mg4 %
Sodium 313 mg13 %
Potassium 15 mg0 %
Total Carbohydrate 4 g1 %
Dietary Fiber 0 g2 %
Sugars 1 g
Protein 17 g34 %
Vitamin A1 %
Vitamin C4 %
Calcium1 %
Iron3 %


No comments:

Post a Comment