Monday, June 15, 2015

Meal Prep: Turkey Veggie Meatballs


Happy Monday! I think I may need to canoe to work with all the rain we've been getting. What started out as a really dry spring has turned into a very soggy summer so far. Why can't we redirect the rain out to California where they really need it? Now that would be an epic, just saying! 

This past weekend was relatively calm, which all things considered is rather unusual for my family. I like to be busy, but sometimes it's nice to just chill out too. Per usual I spent a lot of time at the gym. I've been increasing my weights and after two days of epic arm workouts (among other workouts) holy moly I have noodle arms! No pain no gain right? 

Aside from that the countdown to my birthday is officially on! Only 6 days until I turn 21- whoop whoop! This year will be fun because I have to share my day with my dad because it's also Father's Day, I propose a toast to both of us! Hehe, anyway this week's meal prep actually involves meat! I want to try to add a little meat in my diet to see how my body reacts. Of course I added lots of veggies and played around with some spices. With the meatballs I had roasted red potatoes, green beans, and mushrooms.

Turkey Veggie Meatballs
  • 1.2 lb Jenny-O extra lean ground turkey 
  • 1/3 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
  • 3 Tablespoons almond flour
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 small zucchini, grated
  • 1 small carrot or about 5 baby carrots, grated 
  • pinch garlic powder
  • pinch onion powder
  • pinch ground black pepper
  • pinch lemon peel seasoning
  • small squeeze fresh lemon juice (optional, but it gives it a nice kick)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.

Spraying a large baking sheet with nonstick cook spray or coconut oil.

In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients. 

When all the ingredients are mixed together begin forming the meat balls. It is messy, but the easiest way is to use your hands. I made the balls about 1.5-2 inches and was able to make 34 meatballs.

Bake at 400F for 18-20 minutes. To check to see if the meatballs are cooked slice into one- if the juices run clear and the inside is not pink they are done. If they are not done allow them to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes and check again.

Serve immediately or allow the meatballs to cool completely before storing in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer. 

Nutrition per meatball:
MACROS per meatballs: 1C/1F/4P
Nutrition Facts
Servings 34.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 29
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 1 g1 %
Saturated Fat 0 g1 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 14 mg5 %
Sodium 18 mg1 %
Potassium 14 mg0 %
Total Carbohydrate 1 g0 %
Dietary Fiber 0 g1 %
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g9 %
Vitamin A4 %
Vitamin C1 %
Calcium0 %
Iron1 %


No comments:

Post a Comment