Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Healthiest Pumpkin Bread (Gluten Free and Egg Free)


'Tis the season for pumpkin everything. While I am always sad when the weather starts to cool down I love fall baking and seeing the gorgeous changing colors on the trees. This year I have been lagging in my pumpkin baking department, although I am loving the single serving pumpkin waffle and healthy chocolate chip pumpkin pie pancakes I made.

I woke up really early on Sunday, I mean really early even for me. The gym on campus does not open until almost noon on Sunday's and the church service I go to wasn't until 9:30. I had lots of time and frankly at 4:45 in the morning after already have breakfast and cleaning up I did not feel like doing homework, so I baked.

Last year I had baked a delicious gluten free pumpkin bread with almond flour, but I wanted to try with regular gluten free flour. I really did not know what to expect because I was literally flying by the seam of my pants. SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL! It turned out AMAZING! Literally this pumpkin bread is the moistest pumpkin bread I have ever had and a single slice in only 71 calories!

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup GF all purpose flour or whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice 
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup honey or agave
  • 1 individual cup of unsweetened apple sauce (about 1/3 cup)
  • 1/4 cup greek yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
  • OPTIONAL: 1/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

Spray bread pan with nonstick cook spray. 

Combine whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. 

Add in canned pumpkin, honey, unsweetened apple sauce, greek yogurt, vanilla and coconut/vegetable oil. Mix all ingredients together thoroughly. 

Tuck in 1/4 cup chocolate chips into batter if desired. 

Dump all batter into bread pan. Use a spoon to spread the batter out evenly.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Insert a toothpick at 50 minutes to check doneness. If it comes out clean it's done, if not allow to bake for an additional 3 minutes and check again.

Allow the bread to cool for 20 minutes before removing from pan. Store in refrigerator for optimal freshness. The bread freezes great too.

My favorite way to eat pumpkin bread is either heated up plain or heated up and smeared with PB2 and bananas, it's like a dessert only totally guilt free! If you make this delicious pumpkin bread or any of my other creations tag me on Instagram or use the hashtag #thesimplelife I'd love to see your creations!

Nutrition per slice (I cut 14 medium thickness slices):
Calories: 71
Carbs: 16
Fats: 2 grams
Protein: 2 grams
Sodium: 93 mg
Sugar: 7 grams




No comments:

Post a Comment