Thursday, May 17, 2018

Poetry Nerd: Thinking Out Loud #89

Happy Thursday! Holy guacamole it's been one heck of a week🙆 I've worked a crazy amount of hours thanks to primary elections, but we also celebrated the elections being over yesterday night and were out way too late. Sometimes it's just nice to unwind with friends and forget about work, even if it means staying up way past my bedtime...whoops at least it's my weekend now. Anyway let's jump into this weeks thinking out loud!


1. I know it's past but a belated Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's out there! I got to do fun stories for Mother's Day. We made a sign (super fancy I know) and stood out at a local farmers market and got people to tell us about their moms. So many special moments were shared, it was pretty awesome. All of the news staff also recorded a message for our moms and we shared pictures with it, of course all our moms loved it and we got such good feedback from viewers. 


2. I AM OBSESSED. I love poetry and always have, but I am absolutely obsessed with Atticus. His poems are short, beautiful and perfectly capture raw emotion that can be so difficult to put into words. I picked up his book at Target (it's also on Amazon) and have been flying through it, while also forcing myself to stop and savor it. My boyfriend has been teasing me for reading so much of it, but I could easily read the entire thing in one sitting. It's beautiful and I highly recommend picking up a copy. 


3. Another book I'm obsessing over is A Dog's Purpose. My cousin recommended it to me and warned me I would be ugly crying by the end. It's weird because I don't get emotional over stories or movies with humans but hurt a dog and I'll be tearing up. The only movie I've cried over is Marley and Me...


4. One of my best friends stories got picked up by national news! All of us were so excited for him. It was a scary situation for the homeowner who almost had their cat stolen, but it ended happy because the cat got away and the lady who tried to steal the cat got busted by police. I'm not sure why anyone would want to steal a pet when you can adopt your own at the shelter.


5. So I'm leaving TV to become a police officer now...just kidding😂 One of the stories I did was the local fire and police departments putting on an event where kids could see inside a police cruiser, and how a fire truck works. The police officer gave me a sticker so I could be an officer too! In all seriousness I could never do their jobs. They put their lives on the line to protect us and get very little thanks for it. 


6. This past weekend I met someone incredibly inspiring. There was a walk for M.S. in town and a man who has the disease gave a speech about how feels so blessed to have the disease. I was thrown off because no one wants to have a disease so I knew I had to talk to him. Beyond a doubt he's the most inspiring person I've ever met. He said he's blessed to have the disease because he's been able to use it to reach out to others with it and help them in their journey. He opened a special gym for people with the disease that has all sorts of modified equipment and therapy tools to help them. I walked away in awe and I know that conversation is one that's going to stick with me forever.


7. I thought it was fitting to end with an Atticus poem. When people are passionate about what they do you can tell. Their faces light up and work isn't work. That's how I feel about my job. I'm very blessed to work with the most amazing people and have a job where I genuinely love going to work. Not everyone is so lucky, which makes me really sad. Everyone should have a job they enjoy. Even the long days are made better when you're doing something you love and surrounded by great people.

Have a great Thursday and a terrific weekend🎉🎉🎉

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow - thank you for introducing me to Atticus! Clearly I am old and live under a rock, but... thank you. I can use more inspiration in my life!

    ReplyDelete