Friday, June 20, 2014

Cinnamon Banana Muffins


My freezer is bursting with delicious muffins and I feel no shame. The rain won't seem to stop, which means I have been on a baking spree. Lately I have been experimenting with muffins. 

I must tell you I have made a LOT of muffins in my day, but these muffins made my house smell better than anything I've ever baked. It was a sweet cinnamon smell and it was making my mouth water. As delicious as these muffins smell they taste even better!

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup whole wheat OR gluten free flour
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds (can omit this if desired)
  • 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup mashed bananas, about two large bananas
  • 1/4 heaping cup organic or regular honey
  • 1/4 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup diced peaches, fresh or frozen- if using frozen 

In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cinnamon, chia seeds, baking powder and baking soda. 

Once all the dry ingredients are combined add in mashed banana, vanilla extract, honey, applesauce and the egg.

Do not over mix the batter. After the batter is formed add in the peaches if desired. Pour batter into muffins pan. Makes 12 muffins.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Check the muffins with a toothpick at 20 minutes to see if they're done. If they're not done bake for an additional 5 minutes. 

Allow muffins to cool completely before storing in an airtight container or in a Ziploc bag for freezing.

Nutrition Information (for one muffin):
Calories: 89 calories
Carbs: 19 
Fat: 1 gram
Protein: 3 grams
Sodium: 224 mg
Sugar: 9 grams


No comments:

Post a Comment