Thursday, June 5, 2014

What I Packed

Hectic and long days at work can make it difficult to eat healthy. Working 10 hour shifts in the news room I have witnessed this first hand. After a long day at work I don't want to come home only to cook dinner and prepare a lunch for the next day; no, I want to go straight to bed most days.

Thankfully I am a planner and organizer. I usually work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in the newsroom, so on Sunday I do a bit of meal prep for my working days. Normally I will make lunches for the days I work and put them in plastic containers in the fridge to keep them cool until they are put in a lunchbox for that day. 

I've gotten some questions about what to pack for lunch, so I will try to post what I pack for lunch for work to give you some ideas.


I prepared this salad yesterday and had it for lunch today. It takes less than five minutes to make and it's delicious:
  • 1 turkey burger, cooked and shredded
  • 2 cups organic spring mix lettuce
  • 2 nectarines, diced
  • 1/4 cup diced green and red peppers
  • 1 tablespoon pepitas
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted sunflower seeds
  • 1 tablespoon dried tart cherries
  • 1 tablespoon shredded coconut


I always pack a fruit with my lunch too, Granny Smith apples are one of my favorite fruits.


For some extra protein, and a sweet kick, I packed 1/2 cup Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt. Sometimes I also packed some healthy homemade granola in a ziploc bag for an added crunch in my yogurt. 

In addition to packing lunch I always pack extra snack as "hunger killers." I have been known to get hungry between meals and when I get hungry often I will get cranky- and no one likes a cranky, hungry Rachael. My go to hunger killers are a handful of almonds, a small bundle of grapes, granola, or a spoonful of peanut butter or almond butter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment