Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sunsets, Turtles and Chia Seed Oatmeal


I have been working out really hard all week! On my days off of work I have spent a lot of time at the gym running and lifting weights. Running can still be a bit painful at times, but I am slowly trying to push through it all because I want to get back to building up mileage. 

On the days I work instead of going to the gym, which I don't have time to do, I have been walking anywhere from 3 to 5 miles in the morning. It's nice to get the legs moving, blood pumping and it's so peaceful to walk and watch the sunrise. It helps me get focused and ready to tackle my day. 


One morning last week as I was walking there was a fairly large painted turtle slowly making its way across the road. I didn't want it to become road kill, so I picked him (or her) up and moved it to the other side of the road- and boy am I glad I did! No sooner had I set him down on the other side of the road and then 3 cars went down the road. 


Yesterday morning I had the gym to myself and I loved it! I did 65 minutes of cardio- 35 on an elliptical that is a cross between an elliptical and treadmill, it gives you the best workout, and then I did 30 minutes on the treadmill. 

After cardio I spent time on the weight machines. I focused mainly on my arms yesterday, but I also did ab work and free weights. It is important to balance your workouts between cardio and strength to build lean muscle and endurance. 

Post workout I made Chia Oatmeal with fruit to refuel.
  • 1/3 cup GF old fashioned oats
    • cooked following package instructions
  • 1/4 cup vanilla greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1 small peach, cut into chunks
  • handful of fresh raspberries
  • 1 kiwi, sliced


The rest of the was spent helping my dad do an oil change and various chores. I also spent a good part of the afternoon outside soaking up some sun with Cora who was in squirrel heaven thanks to the 3 young squirrels running around in our tree. 

To end the day there was a beautiful sunset. There is nothing I love more than watching the sun set across the lake after a beautiful day! 

Have a wonderful Sunday and enjoy the rest of your weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment