Monday, August 22, 2016

Just Be Present


Monday we meet again. Maybe I'm just weird, but I really don't mind Monday's, especially this week. Since I've come back from vacation I've spent less time on social media than normal and it's been rather refreshing. I hung out with friends and everyone was present. No one had their phones out to check Facebook or Instagram. We laughed, ate, swam, talked and I never once felt the need to whip out my phone to check for text messages or to see what everyone was posting on Instagram.

Don't get me wrong I am just as guilty as everyone for checking my phone a bazillion times a day, but it's important to remember social media isn't always real. While people may post numerous times a day on instagram it's not an accurate depiction of what their lives are actually like. I don't post everything I eat or share all my vacation photos or photos with friends. Those who know me know that I am a pretty private person, if I had a personal Instagram (which I don't) I doubt I'd use it that often. I love taking pictures with friends, but I've never felt the need to share everything.

I don't know what prompted me to put my phone away for the past week and a half, but I've been happier than I've been in a long time. I didn't stress about needing to post or share the latest blog post or keeping up with everyone's posts. Instead I laughed until my stomach hurt, drank wine, stayed up WAY too late and made some really awesome memories.

You see living life through a lens isn't really living. Not every moment needs to be captured. Some of my favorite memories are moments that there aren't pictures or videos of. To me, the beauty of living and experiences is feeling. It's not just the memory I love, but how I felt in that moment.

Moments and memories are so much more important than posting on social media. At the end of your life no one is going to remember what you posted on instagram, but they will remember all the moments they spent with you. So put away your phone and make those moments count. 

No comments:

Post a Comment