Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Lessons From Running


Have you ever seen someone do something and think, "dang I wish I could do that?" That's exactly what I thought when Chelsey (@chelseylovestorun on IG) started a running streak. Every day I'd see her post about her run and think I wish I could do that- she's currently on day 58 of her running streak! Finally I said enough and decided to start my own run streak. 

I've never been an every day kind of runner so I wasn't sure what to expect. I decided to keep most of my training the same so I was still lifting, doing HIIT workouts, and some biking, but now I'd be running every day (as opposed to 3-4 times a week). 

I'm proud to say that for the last 36 days I've run every single day. 

Has every run been great? Heck no. Some days I do NOT want to run but I always feel better once I do. I've also noticed a few changes since I've been running every day. I'm getting faster, a feat that's been nearly impossible since dealing with chronic pain. I've also learned that mental strength is just as important as physical strength. There's been times when my body is telling me it can't push through another mile, but mentally I know I can so I've pushed through and let me tell you it feels awesome. Another important lesson runners high is real and so is post run hanger. I've always gotten a post run high and let me tell you that is an addicting feeling! Nothing beats the feeling of knowing you knocked out however many miles for the day and you gave it your all.

To some running for 36 days in a row is nothing, but to me it's a big deal. Living with constant pain and exhaustion takes a toll on the body and it's not something that you can easily overcome. I've pushed through a lot these past few weeks and I'm proud of it. I'm proud I've pushed through the pain and discomfort because I've gotten to witness so much. I've seen beautiful sunrises, baby deer, bunnies, and the morning stillness is so beautiful. I love watching the world come to life while I'm out running. 

While not every run feels fantastic I'm happy knowing that I've been pushing myself. I've got a streak going and I'd like to keep it going. You can accomplish so much if you just get started. If you had told me 37 days ago that I would be where I am right now I would have laughed at you. There was too much pain and exhaustion to even contemplate starting something like this. But here I am 36 days in, still tired and dealing with pain, but pushing through because sometimes you don't know how strong you are until you take a leap of faith.

Have you ever started a running streak? What's your favorite time of day to run?

No comments:

Post a Comment