Friday, August 26, 2016

Pumpkin Energy Bites


I'm all about that pumpkin, that pumpkin...or maybe that's not how the song goes? I was grocery shopping and that song came on and it has been stuck in my head since- fun fact I find that song rather annoying. 

Totally off topic I know, but if you know me then you know that happens a lot. So maybe it wasn't totally off topic because I have been all about the pumpkin. Pumpkin breakfast bake, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin EVERYTHING! Literally though. I blame it on the fact that I opened a can of pumpkin and I refuse to throw food away, so I had to use it before it went bad. I knew I wanted to make energy balls, but I wanted a larger batch so I took my peanut butter energy ball recipe and went back to the drawing board. The pumpkin, peanut butter, and honey hold the dry ingredients together and holy cow do they make the bites moist! Literally like a piece of pumpkin pie only better (<- even my mom said that)!

Pumpkin Energy Bites
  • 1.5 cups gluten free oats
  • 2 Tablespoon ground flaxseed 
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/4 cup nut butter (peanut butter and almond butter work great)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2.5 Tablespoons chocolate chips (OPTIONAL)
  • 1 Tablespoon coconut flakes (OPTIONAL)

In a medium sized mixing bowl combine oats, flaxseed, coconut flakes (if using), cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.

In separate microwave safe bowl place honey and peanut butter. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir. The mix should be almost completely liquid.

Pour peanut butter/honey combo into dry ingredients. 

Quickly add in pumpkin puree and vanilla extract.

Use a large spoon or spatula to mix all ingredients together. Make sure to scrap down sides of bowl so no dry ingredients remain unmixed.

Place mixture in fridge and allow to cool for 30 minutes-1 hour. 

If using add chocolate chips in to cooled pumpkin/oat mix.

Being taking clumps of batter and rolling into tablespoon sized balls. Repeat until no mixture remains. I was able to get 23 balls, the amount will vary depending on how large/small you make them.

If you make these delicious energy balls take a picture, tag me on instagram, and use the hashtag #thesimplelife I'd love to see your creations! Don't forget to like my new Facebook page




No comments:

Post a Comment