Monday, October 5, 2015

Crockpot Turkey Veggie Meatballs


Happy Monday! This past weekend was freezing! I am so not ready for winter. I typically enjoy fall- I love sweater weather and curling up with a cup of tea and a good book, but the wind and the rain I can most definitely do without. 

Most of my weekend was spent filming a new package and in between interviews and shooting b-roll I was studying for an exam and writing papers. Thrilling weekend I know. By the time Sunday rolled around I was exhausted. I'm still fighting a cold and I'm sure filming in the cold and rain did not help matters. 

Now that it's officially fall I don't have to feel guilty about breaking out the crockpot, not that that's ever stopped me before. The apartment still smells amazing from the crockpot- that might be my favorite part about using the crockpot. Anyways, I posted different versions of turkey meatballs before, but I've never done a turkey veggie meatball in the crockpot, so whala! They are packed with flavor and incredibly tender. Prepare to snuggle up in your sweats with a good book while the crockpot does all the work for you!

Crockpot Turkey Veggie Meatballs
  • 20 oz lean ground turkey
  • 28 oz organic peeled and crushed tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
  • 3 Tablespoons almond flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium zucchini, grated
  • 1 medium carrot, grated
  • 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • ground black pepper, to taste
  • red pepper flakes, to taste
  • pinch garlic salt

In a large mixing bowl combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs, almond flour, egg, olive oil, grated zucchini, grated carrot, diced onion, and spices. 

Using your hands form meatballs. I made the meatballs fairly small, maybe 1/2 a golf ball size. I was able to make 30 meatballs. 

Spray a skillet with nonstick cook spray and heat to medium. 

Brown the meatballs to seal in flavor. You do not want to cook the meatballs all the way through, you want to get a nice light brown coloring on the outside.
*Note: you do not have to brown the meatballs. Browning really seals in the flavor, but I've made meatballs plenty of times without browning them and they are just as delicious.

Place browned meatballs in crockpot.

Pour peeled and crushed tomatoes over meatballs.

Cover crockpot and turn on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. I prefer to use low to really seal in the flavor.

Serve meatballs over spaghetti squash to get an added serving of veggies.

Nutrition (per meatball):
MACROS: 4C/2F/5P
Nutrition Facts
Servings 30.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 55
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 2 g3 %
Saturated Fat 1 g3 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21 mg7 %
Sodium 74 mg3 %
Potassium 15 mg0 %
Total Carbohydrate 4 g1 %
Dietary Fiber 1 g3 %
Sugars 2 g
Protein 5 g9 %
Vitamin A10 %
Vitamin C6 %
Calcium1 %
Iron3 % 

No comments:

Post a Comment