Monday, October 12, 2015

Meal Prep: Crockpot Chicken and Veggie Soup (Vegetarian Option)


Happy Monday! I know I am a little late getting this post up so I apologize. It's been a hectic weekend and I should probably be preparing for my presentation later this afternoon, but blogging is more fun! I'm going to try to get a weekend recap post up this week because even though the weekend was hectic I got to enjoy a bit of the gorgeous fall weather while driving around.

With all the hecticness I knew I was not going to have time full out meal prep so I meal prepped crockpot style. This took less than 15 minutes to throw in the crockpot and the results are so good! It's packed with veggies and protein, what could be better? There are so many ways to customize this recipe- experiment with seasonings add in different veggies, the possibilities are endless! Later this week I'm going to post a low carb cornbread muffin recipe I made for with the soup- they pair perfectly with the soup and are only made with 4 ingredients! WIN! Until then, grab a book, some tea, and bowl of this soup because this is how fall cooking should be done! 

Crockpot Chicken and Veggie Soup
  • 1 lb organic chicken breast tenderloins*
  • 14.5 oz. organic diced tomatoes
  • 6 oz. organic no salt added tomato paste
  • 32 oz. organic low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
  • 1 lb (16 oz) frozen green beans
  • 2 cups (10.5 oz.) sliced carrots
  • 1 medium (8.1 oz) sweet onion, diced
  • 14 oz organic mini bella mushrooms, sliced
  • Seasonings of choice

In a lined crockpot pour 1/3 of the diced tomatoes.

Next, layer in diced onion, sliced carrots, and sliced mini bella mushrooms.

Place the chicken on top of the vegetables. I did not cut up the chicken prior to putting it into the crockpot because it becomes extremely tender in the crockpot and will break apart easily for you before serving it. 
*For a vegetarian option replace the chicken with 1.5-2 cups lentils or use your choice of beans.

On top of the chicken spread out the remaining diced tomatoes and the tomato paste. 

Add the green beans on top of the chicken and tomatoes and pour the vegetable/chicken broth into the crockpot.

Finally add any seasonings you'd like. I added around 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic, a bit of ground black pepper, and for a kick I added chili seasoning. 

Cover the crockpot and turn on low for 6-8 hours.

Before serving stir everything together. The chicken will easily break apart for you while stirring. I also tasted some of the soup and added a bit more chili seasoning. 

I covered the crockpot and let everything simmer for another 20ish minutes.

This makes nine 1 cup servings. I served the soup with a new low carb cornbread muffin I made. I will be posting that recipe this week! 

Nutrition per serving (based on 9 1 cup servings):
MACROS: 15C/0F/15P
Nutrition Facts
Servings 9.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 128
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0 g0 %
Saturated Fat 0 g0 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 23 mg8 %
Sodium 195 mg8 %
Potassium 288 mg8 %
Total Carbohydrate 15 g5 %
Dietary Fiber 3 g13 %
Sugars 7 g
Protein 15 g31 %
Vitamin A59 %
Vitamin C21 %
Calcium5 %
Iron7 %

No comments:

Post a Comment